Do You Need An Elder Lawyer In Queens NY
When dealing with the complex issues that come with aging and planning for the future, it can be challenging to know where to turn. This is especially true if you are unfamiliar with what an elder law lawyer does, how and when to hire one, and what legal services they provide. In this article, we’ll cover all those topics on elderly lawyers in Queens, NY.
What Does an Older Adult Law Attorney Do?
An older adult law attorney can help you with various legal issues related to aging and disability. These may include:
- Drafting estate planning documents, such as wills, trusts, and advance directives.
- Probating estates in the event of death.
- Representing individuals seeking guardianships or conservatorships over those who cannot make decisions due to mental incapacity or physical impairment.
How To Find an Older Adult Law Attorney
If you are looking for an elder law attorney, there are several ways you can find one.
- Ask friends and family for recommendations. The best way to get a referral is from someone who has had experience hiring an older adult lawyer.
- Search online. Many websites list local attorneys specializing in elder care services.
Areas of Elder Law
Elder Law is an area of practice that deals with the legal issues faced by older adults and their families. The following are some of the elder laws:
Wills and Trusts
A will is a legal document that helps you determine how your estate will be distributed after your death. If you do not have a Will, the state in which you reside has laws regarding who can inherit and what they are entitled to receive.
A court appointed a guardian to care for another person who cannot care for himself. A guardian may be selected at any time, but if a child under 18 becomes incapacitated, it’s best to ensure that you have a guardian in place before any problems arise.
Probate litigation is a court proceeding that deals with the estate of a deceased person. The process of probate is usually initiated by a family member or an official of the court after someone dies.
As you can see, elder law is a complex and ever-evolving field. Elder law attorneys must be familiar with all the laws that apply to their clients, as well as how best to help them navigate their situations. If you need an elder lawyer in Queens, NY, visit our website.